Probiotics and Your Immune System
When seasons change, it’s important to support your immune health. From eating and drinking, to exercising and taking supplements, there are several steps you can take to help support your immune system! Which of these immune system-supporting activities may work best for you and your immune health? Read on to find out!
Immune System: What is it?
The immune system is a collection of cells, tissues, and organs that work together to protect the body from infection.1 The immune system recognises and responds to antigens found on the surface of cells, viruses, fungi or bacteria.2 When functioning properly, the immune system can identify these antigens and distinguish them from the body’s own healthy tissue to support your well-being.2
The Immune System and the Digestive Tract
What some people find most surprising about the immune system is that 70 percent of the immune system lives in the digestive tract.3 Not surprisingly, external factors that are known to impact the immune system can also disrupt the delicate balance of bacteria in the digestive tract. Factors like diet, occasional stress, aging, certain medications and travel can affect your digestive harmony as well as your overall wellness.4
Digging Deeper: Supporting Your Immune System
Part of being healthy is making sure your immune system and your digestive system are in good shape and well balanced.
Some steps you can take to help support your immune system include:
- Washing your hands for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap5
- Being active for at least 30 minutes a day6
- Eating nutrient-dense foods like:
- Romaine lettuce
Produce Tip: Incorporating these foods into your diet, as yummy as they are, may not be convenient for those with busy lives, constantly on the move. Additionally, much of the immune-supporting nutrients obtained through fruits, vegetables and milk products are removed when food is cooked.7 Try buying locally grown produce and cutting up your veggies to help break down plant cell walls. Also, make sure you’re storing your produce properly.7
How Probiotics Are Beneficial to Immune Health*
Because incorporating immune-supporting foods into your diet is not always enough, many people turn to probiotics to help support their immune system as well as their digestive health.* Taking a supplement like Culturelle® Natural Flora® or Culturelle Pro-well® Immune + Energy, with the probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, can be beneficial to your overall well-being.* Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG is the #1 clinically studied probiotic†† that helps support your overall health.*
Now you know why supporting your immune system is so important and the steps you can take, so get to it!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
†† Based on the number of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG clinical studies as of January 2018
- Immune System. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/immuneSystem/Pages/default.aspx
- Immune Response. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000821.htm –
- Vighi, G., et al. “Allergy and the gastrointestinal system.” Clinical & Experimental Immunology 153.s1 (2008): 3-6.
- Probiotics for Everyday Wellness & Immune Health. https://www.culturelle.com/why-probiotics/immune-health
- Wash Your Hands. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/best-way-to-wash-your-hands/
- How Much Should the Average Adult Exercise Every Day? https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/
- 10 Ways to Get the Most Nutrients from Your Food. http://www.precisionnutrition.com/10-ways-to-get-the-most-nutrients